Tuesday, October 24, 2017

A Christian Gratitude Meditation

We are talking about the sacrament this week and it’s been fascinating to trace the imagery of eating and feasting all the way through the Old Testament (forbidden fruit, manna, etc) and then throughout Jesus’s life. He turned water into wine, fed thousands, and ended his mission with a supper that he invites us all to repeat. He was even born in a manger, an eating trough! So interesting, and to me it all leads up to the sacred feast of the sacrament.

Sometimes it's hard to know what to think about during the sacrament. I’m suggesting five things that people can do during that sacred time, and one of them is to offer a gratitude meditation. (To hear the other four, you will have to listen to the lesson)  A guided meditation can seem awkward at first, but it can really help us focus our attention on our blessings. Here is one just to get you started:






 Go at your own pace and change this any way you want to reflect your feelings:



  •       Settle yourself in a relaxed posture. Take a few deep, calming breaths to relax and center. For a few moments, let your awareness move to your immediate environment: all the things you can smell, taste, touch, see, hear, right around you. Say to yourself: “For this beautiful place, these great people around me, and this beautiful day Lord,  I am grateful. 

  •       Now, bring to mind those people in your life to whom you are close: your friends, family, spouse, parents, …. Think specifically of a few ways that your life has been blessed this week by your loved ones. Thank the Lord for those special moments, and say to yourself, “Lord, I am grateful to be loved by wonderful people." Name them in your mind, and let your feelings of love well up for each one as you do. 

  •       Next, turn your attention onto yourself: you are a unique individual, blessed with imagination, the ability to communicate, to learn from the past and plan for the future, to overcome any pain you may be experiencing. Think of how the Lord has blessed you with the opportunity to live, and change, and meet your challenges. Your life is a precious gift. Think how you have been born into a period of immense prosperity, freedom, and that you have the gift of health, culture and access to spiritual teachings. Say to yourself: “Lord, I am grateful for my life, for my challenges and problems, for my joys and successes, and to live in this time and be a part of great things. 

  •      Finally, rest into the realization that you are connected to Jesus by covenants of love. Imagine his eyes, looking straight at you. Remember that He knows you, and loves you, and that your concerns are important to Him. Through his atonement you have the opportunity to become better, stronger and more full of love. He can give you the strength to meet any challenge, to forgive others, and to be filled with peace even in times of trouble.  Say to yourself: "Lord,  I am grateful for your love. I praise and adore you, and will be your servant. I know that gratitude is the heart’s memory, and I promise to always remember you, so that I can have your spirit to be with me every day.  I thank you humbly for the abundance of my life, for helping me overcome my sins and shortcomings, and for pouring out your spirit on my loved ones and me. Help me show that love to everyone I meet this week.” And then be quiet and listen.






No comments:

Post a Comment